SUPPLY AND INSTALLATION OF A 2.8 ACRE SPRINKLER IRRIGATION SYSTEM
The purpose of the sprinkler irrigation system was to provide adequate water for a nursery bed with improved varieties of palm oil seedlings and complement other management options against the whitefly which is responsible for millions of losses to oil palm farmers. Sprinktech Limited implemented this project in partnership with NARO under the National Oil Palm Project.
Water source: Existing water pond
Size of the land: 2.8 acres
Maximum Head: 30 metres
Crop: Oil palm
Sprinkler Irrigation system scope
The scope of this sprinkler irrigation system included supply, delivery and installation of sub-main and main pipes (HDPE), diesel engine pump, riser pipes, fittings and sprinklers. The project also involved installing the irrigation system.
The following activities were done in the implementation stage;
• Trenching and backfilling for sub-main and mains from the water source
• Installation of the water distribution system. This included the laying of HDPE pipes 50mm for sub mains and 75mm for mains. It also included Connecting control valves on the main pipes and sub mains (8 in no.)
• Installation of the fixed sprinklers. This involved fixing saddle clamps 50mmx3/4’’and75mmx50mm, Connecting the riser pipes (66 in no.) and Fixing the sprinklers onto the riser pipes.
• Installation of the diesel engine pump.
• Testing, Calibration of the system and end-user training.
• System commissioning and handover.